Tuesday 26 April 2011

Christianity in Schools

Right well this is my first blog which is cool one could say.
However as you can see by the title of this one its christianity in schools as my first one. When your at school, that be anytime junior,middle or high school your strength as a christian will get challenged over these years and not just then but also after school, i'll save that for another blog topic though.


So i thought i'll start with junior school, it's a fairly easy time in your life, playing games and not really worrying to much about everything else that has been happening, and to be honest that stands true, I recall being in junior school and no one ever really asking me if i'm a christian or not, of course there were the religion/scripture lessons which everyone was always listening keenly to but out in the playground your friends would never mention it again, and neither would I. At this point in my life christianity seemed like something everyone on earth was apart of and no one questioned it.


So I suppose the main challenge in primary school is that the scripture lessons at school are  really the only moments at school when you get to learn about christianity and that the teachers teaching you this are only hoping that you will remember and accept what they have said.


The second stage in your life in which will challenge you is in middle  school, i found this probably the more challenging out of the three because
a/ no one at school had ever really expressed their opinion of christianity in front of me before 
and...
B/ your wanting to impress people and if everyone says that christianity is rubbish then your opinions and ideals are very crushed between what everyone else says is normal and what God says is right. 


In my case I found that I was changing schools in year 5 and so beyond having to make new friends i had to also accept that my views as a christian were what I knew was right. throughout my middle school life, years 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 i found were all tough but gradually got better the less afraid i got. though accepting faith in the beginning was tough, being constantly challenged by people. That's not the only type of challenges though. challenges  such as girls,sex, parties, alcohol, drugs, certain changes in your life, all of which being thrown at you whilst you are still accepting christianity, it is a tough challenge but as James 1:12 says "Happy is the man who doesn't give in and do wrong when he is tempted, for afterwards he will get as his reward the crown of life that God has promised those who love him."  
This is saying that by avoiding these and remaining faithful to god your reward will come. 
of course however there is always going to be sin right until the day of christ's return, avoiding these will be hard but by remembering this promise you can overcome these temptations. It was in year 5 that I decided to say that I live for christ and I decided to put my life and trust in God.


High school, by this time your maturing more, the temptations you have become used to and have said no to the temptations of the world, you have become more understanding of other peoples reasons for not following christ, but around this time, years 10, 11 and 12 that school work will be the main challenge, work loads and study increasing so much that even parties seem to be phasing out, but don't let this get in the way of your christian life, because although school is important, living out your christian life is way more important. still though stay away from the temptations mentioned before because although there is less of it, it may make you more inclined to try it because your've missed out before hand. 


My faith, I found grew stronger over these years as I grew stronger saying to people that I am not afraid to say i'm christian. as well as this participation in church events helps loads more. I go to a youth group called BLAST (believing,living and sharing truth) which is every friday 7:30-9:30 it's great way to learn about the bible,play games,chat to other people and catch up on how the weeks been going, not only this but a bible group held at 7 on wednesdays at one of my friends has helped me grow again stronger, finally of course church on sundays, i go to a 6pm service which is mainly youth orientated, smaller but at the same time you can get so much out of the bible.
I went to a camp called kyck a few weeks back, it was great, run over 3 weekends there was 2000 other christians the weekend I went, the singing,praising and hearing the book of hebrews sent shivers down my spine thinking this is only 2000 kids, how good is it going to be when Christ returns.
hebrews 10:39 was the memory verse we learnt on kyck and I think is one of my favourites "but we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but those who believe and are saved. 


So I leave with my final message stay strong christians, dont let temptations overcome you and as for people considering christianity or are unsure then I will continue to pray for you all that the Holy Spirit will fill you and that you will learn what I have learnt and be encouraged to follow a christian life. =) until next time 


chris daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment